Have you heard of Chia Seeds? These are tiny little seeds that are native to South America. They have been part of the Aztec diets for centuries. Chia seeds are a “superfood” that you can easily add to your diet. They do not have much of a taste and offer many health benefits.
The Benefits of Chia Seeds
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Chia seeds are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3’s help reduce inflammation, and can help lower triglycerides and blood pressure
- Protein – These tiny seeds are packed with protein with 2g of protein per tablespoon.
- Fiber – One tablespoon contains 4g of dietary fiber. This is a great way to get your digestive system moving.
- Antioxidants – Chia seeds are reported to have 3x the amount of antioxidants than blueberries!
- Aide in weight loss – Chia seeds can hold 9-12 times their weight in water, making them help you to feel more full.
What do I do with them?
- Add them to any food you cook:
- Put them in your drinks
Some people enjoy drinking chia seeds with the gel coat on the outside. You can commonly find chia seeds in Kombucha, a fermented sweet tea that you can find at your local health food store.
- Add them to your smoothies
Where can I buy Chia seeds?
– Wholefoods, sprouts, or any other health food store. They should be located in the vitamin section.
– Online through Amazon